Saturday, February 8, 2014

Introduction and Initial Review of Literary Lacquers!

I thought the best way to start off this blog would be to make a short introduction and an initial review for an indie brand that is very new to me (just tried it for the first time today). So, hello! My name is Alexandria. I just turned 23 yesterday (February 7th), and I'm a full time Medical Assisting student. I have two children, Alana and Ashton, who are four and five years old. They are absolutely wonderful and everything I do is for them. I also have an adult child (the boyfriend) who's name is Michael and a furbaby (a chihuahua) named Dexter. 


My favorite things in the world (other than my family, of course) are nail polish, make-up, fashion, books, wax, and all things geeky. Seriously, if it is at all geeky, chances are I love it. So, as you could imagine, when a friend introduced me to indie nail polish, I was all over it! I've only been in the indie polish world for a few weeks now, but I've become thoroughly obsessed, and wanted to chronicle my journey. I also recently got my first nail stamping set thanks to the awesome friend who introduced me to indie nail polish (shout out to Jenn! You're awesome!) and picked out the name for this blog. I should also mention that I went to cosmetology school, where I learned how to do manicures and pedicures professionally. Anywho, that's me, in a nutshell. 

And, for your viewing pleasure, here is a picture of my chihuahua (Dexter) in his new monkey hoodie. :)





Now, onto Literary Lacquers! First off, I would like to say that I was VERY impressed with how fast I received my order. I placed the order last Sunday (February 2nd) and it arrived today (February 8th). I have several orders that were placed long before the Literary Lacquers order that have yet to arrive, so when I received the LL order today, I was both shocked and amused. The nail polishes also arrived very nicely packaged (see picture below).




The colors I received are Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (which I will be showing on this post), Laters, baby, and Strawberry Ice Cream Soma (see picture below).




I haven't actually had the time to try all three yet, however, I will be attempting to do so throughout this coming week. But, for tonight's manicure I used Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, because my boyfriend chose it. 

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is a gorgeous, vibrant turquoise linear holo with added fine holographic glitter. It's from Literary Lacquer's Literary Liquors collection and is based on an alcoholic beverage mentioned in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. The polish looks beautiful just sitting in it's bottle, so I had to try it first! 

My initial reaction of Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster was that the first coat was a very tricky application. The polish is on the thick side, and the first coat came out very patchy. I was worried that my manicure was going to come out dreadfully because of this, but once I let the first coat dry, I went on to the second coat and it was smooth sailing. 

The second coat went on perfectly and came out very even. Two coats are definitely recommended for this polish! It has a semi-matte finish, so I would also recommend a top coat, unless you like matte finishes (I've never been a fan). This color is lovely on, and the pictures I took really don't do it justice. It's very vibrant and the holo is one of the best that I've seen thus far. Based on this polish alone, I would absolutely buy from Literary Lacquers again. The picture below shows off the fine holographic glitter in the polish.





The picture below shows off the holo. Please excuse my dreadful nails; I had a press-on mishap recently and am trying to grow them back out. Also, as you will notice, my paint job isn't all that great. As I said before, it was a tricky application, but nothing a little clean up won't fix.





                           You can purchase Literary Lacquers here.


I know, my pictures aren't the best, but I'm working on it, and hopefully I'll find a better way to take pictures soon! I'm left handed, and for some reason, taking pictures with an iPad is nearly impossible for me. 


Thank you so much for stopping by for my first blog post! There will be many more to come!
-Alexandria

8 comments:

  1. I have those 3 polishes... all are out of this world fantastic! Great blog post! I'm following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love these polishes, they're wonderful! Thanks so much for following me, and I've followed you back. :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the world of polish blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great first post! I know you are going to be great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope I don't disappoint!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the nail blogger community! Can't wait to see more of your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the community and good luck with your blog. I followed you on fb but I can't seem to find an option to follow here....

    ReplyDelete